Amoxicillin 500 mg
Amoxicillin (Amoxil®) is a prescription antibiotic approved to treat a variety of different infections. It comes in various forms and strengths, including:
- 500 mg amoxicillin capsules
- 500 mg amoxicillin tablets
- 875 mg amoxicillin tablets
- 200 mg amoxicillin chewable tablets
- 400 mg amoxicillin chewable tablets
- Amoxicillin 200 mg/5 mL oral suspension (available in 50, 75, and 100 mL bottles)
- Amoxicillin 250 mg/5 mL oral suspension (available in 100 and 150 mL bottles)
- Amoxicillin 400 mg/5 mL oral suspension (available in 50, 75, and 100 mL bottles)
- Amoxicillin 50 mg/mL pediatric drops (available in 50 mL bottles).
There is no "standard" amoxicillin dose that is recommended for all situations. Your healthcare provider will calculate the appropriate dose based on several factors, including your weight, the severity of the infection, the type of the infection, and the type of bacteria causing the infection. Be sure to follow your healthcare provider's dosing instructions carefully. Try to space the doses out as evenly as possible (every 12 hours for twice-daily doses or every 8 hours for thrice-daily dosing).
(Click Amoxicillin Dosage for more information on when and how to take amoxicillin and to find out why it is important to finish your entire prescription even if you feel better.)