In reported cases of people who took too much Augmentin, overdose symptoms included nausea, abdominal pain, rash, and drowsiness. Treatment for an overdose will vary, depending on how much of the drug was taken and if it was combined with other substances. However, treatment for an Augmentin overdose may include certain medications, "pumping the stomach," or supportive care.
Augmentin Overdose: An Overview
Augmentin® (amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium) is an antibiotic used to treat a variety of infections in infants, children, and adults. It contains two different medications, amoxicillin (a penicillin antibiotic) and clavulanate potassium (a beta-lactamase inhibitor that helps amoxicillin work better). The effects of an Augmentin overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Augmentin dosage and whether it is taken with any other medicines or substances. If you happen to overdose on Augmentin, seek immediate medical attention.
Symptoms of an Augmentin Overdose
The following symptoms have been reported in cases of Augmentin overdose:
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Kidney damage.
Treatment for an Augmentin Overdose
The treatment for an Augmentin overdose will also vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." One of the most serious results of an overdose is kidney damage. Often, fluids and medications are given to help keep fluid flowing through the kidneys. In severe cases, dialysis can be used to remove Augmentin from the blood.
It is important that you seek prompt medical attention if you believe that you may have overdosed on Augmentin.