Interested in a Discount on Augmentin?
Enter your email address to see if eMedTV's free DiscountRx service has a program that could help you save on your prescription(s).
Enter Your Email Address
Thank you!Thank you for your interest in DiscountRx from eMedTV. An email has been sent to the address you provided. Please follow the link within that email to see what offers may be available.
General considerations for when and how to take the medication include the following:
- Augmentin comes in tablets, chewable tablets, and a suspension (liquid) form. It is taken every 8 or 12 hours, depending on the particular product and dosage.
- It's a good idea to take it with a meal or a snack, as this helps prevent stomach upset.
- Augmentin suspension should be shaken thoroughly before each dose, as the medication tends to settle to the bottom of the bottle. Also, the suspension should be stored in the refrigerator and discarded after 10 days of being mixed. You may have extra suspension left over after finishing the prescribed course of Augmentin; this should be discarded immediately.
- It is very important that you finish your course of Augmentin, even if you start to feel better. Stopping it too soon could lead to the development of medication-resistant bacteria.
- For the medicine to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
The dose of Augmentin that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The type of infection and bacteria
- Your age and weight
- The particular Augmentin product
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Augmentin Dosage for more information.)