Your specific cefepime dosage will depend on how much you weigh and the purpose for using the medication, among other factors. If your kidneys do not function well, you may need a lower and less frequent amount. Cefepime is given as an intravenous or intramuscular injection, usually once every 8 or 12 hours. The intravenous injection is usually recommended for severe infections.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of CefepimeThe dosage of cefepime (Maxipime®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on factors such as:
- Your age
- Your weight
- The type and severity of the infection being treated
- How well your kidneys are functioning.
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Recommended Cefepime Dosing Guidelines for Treating InfectionsThe standard recommended dosage for cefepime varies, depending on several factors; however, the recommended amount for adults typically ranges from 0.5 grams (500 mg) to 2 grams and is given every 8 to 12 hours. In general, the more serious the infection, the higher and more frequent the dose.
For children, the amount is calculated based on the child's weight. Cefepime is approved for use in children as young as two months old. The standard recommended dosage is 50 mg per kg (about 22.7 mg per lb) every 8 to 12 hours, but not to exceed the usual adult dosage, which might happen with weight-based dosing with larger children.
If your kidneys are not functioning well, your healthcare provider may recommend a lower or less frequent dose of cefepime.
General Information on Using CefepimeSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with cefepime include the following:
- This medication is given by a slow injection into a vein (intravenously, or by IV) or by intramuscular (IM) injection, usually once every 8 or 12 hours, or perhaps less often if you have kidney disease.
- For serious infections, it is usually best to give this drug by IV rather than by intramuscular injection.
- Cefepime is often given for a few days after the infection has cleared up. For serious infections, an even longer treatment course may be recommended.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or cefepime dosing in general, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.