Cefoxitin Side Effects
Possible Side EffectsFor newer medications, the prescribing information carefully describes the exact side effects that occurred in clinical trials and provides actual percentages for such side effects. However, for older medications, including cefoxitin, only vague information is available on the potential side effects.
Based on available information, some of the common cefoxitin side effects include but are not limited to:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Worsening of myasthenia gravis, in people who have this medical condition
- Anemia or low blood cell counts of various types of blood cells, such as white blood cells
- Temporary increases in liver enzymes (found using a standard blood test)
- Yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes (jaundice)
- Decreased kidney function.
Final ThoughtsYou may experience some or none of the side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have problems with a medicine that you have never tried.
Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects while using cefoxitin or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be related to the medication, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.