Important Info on Cefuroxime Axetil Treatment
For cefuroxime axetil tablets, the recommended dosages for people age 13 years old and older are as follows:
- Strep throat, tonsil infections, or sinus infections -- 250 mg twice daily for 10 days
- Urinary tract infections -- 250 mg twice daily for 7 to 10 days
- Bronchitis -- 250 mg or 500 mg twice daily for 5 to 10 days
- Skin or skin structure infections -- 250 mg or 500 mg twice daily for 10 days
- Early Lyme disease -- 500 mg twice daily for 20 days
- Gonorrhea -- 1000 mg as a single dose.
For younger children who can swallow cefuroxime axetil tablets whole, the recommended dosages are as follows:
- Ear infections -- 250 mg twice daily for 10 days
- Sinus infections -- 250 mg twice daily for 10 days.
Do not try to crush cefuroxime axetil tablets for children who cannot swallow them whole, as they have a very unpleasant bitter taste that lingers.
The oral suspension (liquid) is approved for use in children 3 months through 12 years of age. The dosages are based on weight and are as follows:
- Strep throat or tonsil infections -- 10 mg per kg (about 4.5 mg per pound) twice daily for 10 days, up to a maximum of 500 mg total per day
- Ear infections, sinus infections, or impetigo -- 15 mg per kg (about 6.8 mg per pound) twice daily for 10 days, up to a maximum of 1000 mg total per day.
General Information on Taking Cefuroxime AxetilSome considerations for people taking cefuroxime axetil include the following:
- Cefuroxime axetil comes in the form of tablets and an oral suspension (liquid). It is usually taken by mouth twice daily.
- You can take cefuroxime axetil with food or on an empty stomach.
- Make sure to shake the suspension well before each dose. After your pharmacist mixes it for you, the suspension must be stored in the refrigerator and must be discarded 10 days after mixing.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Stopping this medication too soon may increase the risk of antibiotic resistance.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or cefuroxime axetil dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.