Cefuroxime Axetil Dosage
For the treatment of bacterial infections, the recommended dose of cefuroxime axetil will vary, based on the type of infection being treated, other medical conditions you have, and other factors. This prescription medication comes in the form of a tablet or oral suspension (liquid) and is typically taken twice daily. Stopping this medication too soon may increase the risk of antibiotic resistance.
An Introduction to Dosing With Cefuroxime AxetilThe dose of cefuroxime axetil (Ceftin®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The form of the medication (tablet or suspension)
- The type of infection being treated
- Your age and weight
- Any other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Cefuroxime Axetil ProductsThis medication comes in the following strengths and forms:
- Cefuroxime axetil 250 mg tablets
- Cefuroxime axetil 500 mg tablets
- Cefuroxime axetil 125 mg per 5 mL (per teaspoonful) for oral suspension
- Cefuroxime axetil 250 mg per 5 mL (per teaspoonful) for oral suspension.
The tablets and oral suspension are not equivalent on a mg-per-mg basis. For example, one cefuroxime axetil 500 mg tablet is not equivalent to 500 mg of the oral suspension. Your healthcare provider should take this into account when recommending a particular dosage.