What You Need to Know About Cefuroxime Axetil
When and How to Take This MedicationSome general considerations for when and how to take this medication include the following:
- Cefuroxime axetil comes in the form of tablets and an oral suspension (liquid). It is usually taken by mouth twice daily.
- You can take cefuroxime axetil with food or on an empty stomach.
- Make sure to shake the suspension well before each dose. After your pharmacist mixes it for you, the suspension must be stored in the refrigerator and must be discarded 10 days after mixing.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Stopping this medication too soon may increase the risk of antibiotic resistance.
StorageCefuroxime axetil tablets and unmixed powder for oral suspension can be stored at room temperature. However, once your pharmacist mixes the oral suspension, it must be stored in the refrigerator (not frozen). Once mixed, the oral suspension is only good for 10 days.
(Click Generic Ceftin for more information.)
Who Makes Cefuroxime Axetil?Brand-name cefuroxime axetil is made by GlaxoSmithKline. Generic versions are made by various manufacturers.
Available Strengths of Cefuroxime AxetilThis medication comes in the following strengths and forms:
- Cefuroxime axetil 250 mg tablets
- Cefuroxime axetil 500 mg tablets
- Cefuroxime axetil 125 mg per 5 mL (per teaspoonful) for oral suspension
- Cefuroxime axetil 250 mg per 5 mL (per teaspoonful) for oral suspension.
The tablets and oral suspension are not equivalent on a mg-per-mg basis. For example, one cefuroxime axetil 500 mg tablet is not equivalent to 500 mg of the oral suspension. Your healthcare provider should take this into account when recommending a particular dosage.