What You Need to Know About Cephalexin
Effects of CephalexinBy affecting the cell wall of bacteria, cephalexin eventually causes the bacteria to die and stops the spread of infection in the body.
When and How Do I Take It?General considerations for when and how to take the drug include the following:
- The drug comes as a capsule or liquid suspension. It is usually taken two to four times a day, depending on your healthcare provider's instructions.
- Cephalexin can be taken with or without food.
- Drink a full glass of water with each dose.
- It should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the medicine in your system.
- For the drug to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Make sure that you complete your entire prescription, even if you start feeling better. This will ensure that the infection is completely treated.
- Never take outdated cephalexin. Taking any outdated medication may cause serious problems because the intended effects often change after the medicine expires.
Dietary Considerations With CephalexinThere are no dietary restrictions with this drug. If you have an upset stomach while taking it, however, try taking it with food or milk.
Dosing Information for CephalexinThe dose that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition you are being treated for
- Your age
- If you have decreased kidney function
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Cephalexin Dosage for more information.)