The ciprofloxacin/dexamethasone dosage is the same for everyone -- four drops applied into the infected ear twice a day for seven days. Make sure to finish your entire course of these ear drops, even if you start to feel better within a few days after starting treatment. If you stop using them too soon, it can cause your infection to return or lead to antibiotic resistance.
There is only one standard dose of ciprofloxacin/dexamethasone (Ciprodex®), regardless of your age or the infection being treated. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The standard dosage of ciprofloxacin/dexamethasone for treating ear infections is four drops into the infected ear twice a day for seven days. The same dose is used in children and adults.
Some considerations for people using ciprofloxacin/dexamethasone include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of an ear drop. It is normally used in the infected ear twice a day, about 12 hours apart, for seven days.
- Try to use this medication at about the same time every day.
- Do not touch the tip of the applicator to your fingers, ear, or any other surface. This will help keep the applicator tip clean and prevent germs from getting into the medication.
- General steps for using ciprofloxacin/dexamethasone are as follows:
- Wash your hands before use.
- Warm the container by holding it in your hands for about a minute. This will help reduce any dizziness that may occur when cold drops are placed into the ear.
- Shake the container well to thoroughly mix the medicine.
- Remove the cap.
- Lie with the infected ear up, and place the prescribed number of drops into the ear.
- If you are treating a middle ear infection, push the tragus (the small piece of cartilage in front of your ear opening) five times to help the medicine move toward the middle ear.
- Stay lying with the infected ear up for at least a minute. This helps the medicine stay in the ear.
- If you have an infection in the other ear, repeat these steps on the other side.
- Ciprofloxacin/dexamethasone is only for use in the ears. Do not put this medication in your eye, apply it to your skin, or take it by mouth.
- Try to keep your ear clean and dry during treatment. Avoid getting it wet during bathing, and do not go swimming unless your healthcare provider tells you otherwise.
- You should start to feel better within a few days. If your symptoms have not improved after one week, or worsen, contact your healthcare provider.
- Take the entire course of this medication, even if you feel better. Stopping this medication early may cause your infection to return or lead to antibiotic resistance.
- Throw out any unused medication when you finish your treatment. Do not save it for later use.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.