After applying a dose of ciprofloxacin/hydrocortisone, remain lying with the infected ear up for at least a minute. This will help ensure the effectiveness of the medication. In addition, it is important to finish the entire course, even though you will start to feel better within a few days of beginning treatment. If you stop taking ciprofloxacin/hydrocortisone too soon, it could lead to bacterial resistance.
An Introduction to Dosing With Ciprofloxacin/HydrocortisoneThere is only one standard dose of ciprofloxacin/hydrocortisone (Cipro® HC). As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Ciprofloxacin/Hydrocortisone Dosage for Ear InfectionThe standard dosage of ciprofloxacin/hydrocortisone for otitis externa (commonly called "swimmer's ear") is three drops into the infected ear twice daily for seven days. The same amount is used in children and adults.
General Information on Using Ciprofloxacin/HydrocortisoneSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with ciprofloxacin/hydrocortisone include the following:
- Ciprofloxacin/hydrocortisone comes in the form of an ear drop. It is normally used in the infected ear twice a day, about 12 hours apart, for seven days.
- Keep the tip of the applicator clean by avoiding contact with your hands, ear, or other surfaces. This will help keep germs from entering the medication.
- Throw out any unused medication when you finish your treatment. Do not save it for later use.
- General steps for using ciprofloxacin/hydrocortisone include the following:
- Wash your hands before use.
- Warm the container by holding it in your hands for about a minute. This helps reduce dizziness that may occur when cold drops are placed into the ear.
- Shake the container well to thoroughly mix the medicine.
- Remove the cap.
- Lie with the infected ear up, and instill the drops into the ear.
- Stay lying with the infected ear up for at least a minute. This helps the medicine stay in the ear.
- If you have an infection in the other ear, repeat these steps on the other side.
- Ciprofloxacin/hydrocortisone should only be used in the ear. Do not take it by mouth, put it in your nose or eyes, or apply it to your skin.
- Try to keep your ears dry while using this medication. You should not go swimming during treatment with ciprofloxacin/hydrocortisone unless your healthcare provider tells you it is okay to do so.
- You should begin to feel better within a few days of starting this medication. However, this does not mean your infection is completely gone. It is important that you finish the full course. Stopping treatment too early may cause your symptoms to return, or lead to antibiotic resistance.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.