Ciprofloxacin Side Effects
Although most people tolerate ciprofloxacin well, side effects can occur, and will vary, based on the various forms of this medication. For example, some of the most common reactions with oral or injectable ciprofloxacin products include nausea, headaches, and dizziness, while the ear drops may cause problems such as ear pain or itching in the ear.
An Introduction to Ciprofloxacin Side EffectsJust like any medicine, ciprofloxacin can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, some people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in many cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with ciprofloxacin. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Possible Side Effects of CiprofloxacinCiprofloxacin has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking ciprofloxacin were documented and then compared to those that occurred in a similar group of people taking either a placebo (a "sugar pill" that does not contain any active ingredients) or another antibiotic.
The different forms of ciprofloxacin may have significantly different side effects. In clinical studies, the most commonly reported reactions to all oral or injectable ciprofloxacin products in adults included:
- Nausea -- in up to 4 percent of adults
- Headaches -- up to 3 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 2 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 2 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 2 percent
- Yeast infection -- up to 2.6 percent
- Inflammation of the nasal passages and throat -- up to 2.6 percent
- An urgency to urinate -- up to 2.0 percent
- Abnormal liver function tests -- up to 1.3 percent
- A rash -- up to 1 percent
- Indigestion or heartburn -- up to 1 percent.
The most commonly reported side effects of ciprofloxacin oral and injectable products in children included:
- Abdominal (stomach) problems in general -- in up to 15 percent of children
- Diarrhea -- up to 4.8 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 4.8 percent
- Abdominal (stomach) pain -- up to 3.3 percent
- Stuffy nose -- up to 3 percent
- Indigestion or heartburn -- up to 2.7 percent
- Nausea -- up to 2.7 percent
- Fever -- up to 2.1 percent
- Asthma -- up to 1.8 percent
- Rash -- up to 1.8 percent.
The most commonly reported side effects with ciprofloxacin ear drops, occurring in 2 to 3 percent of people, included:
The most commonly reported side effect of ciprofloxacin eye products was burning or discomfort in the eye. Other common problems included:
- The presence of a white, crystal-like substance in the eye (which usually went away on its own) -- in up to 17 percent of people
- Crusty eyelids -- up to 10 percent
- Eye itching -- up to 10 percent
- Feeling like something is in the eye -- up to 10 percent
- Eye redness -- up to 10 percent
- Unpleasant taste -- up to 10 percent
- Problems with the cornea -- up to 2 percent.