Treatment Info for Doxycycline Hyclate
- The medication comes as a capsule, tablet, gel, or injection. It is usually taken once or twice a day, depending on your healthcare provider's instructions and the particular product.
- It works best when taken without food. However, some products can be taken with food if stomach upset occurs. Make sure to refer to the instructions for your specific product.
- It is important to take doxycycline hyclate with plenty of water (or other fluids) while in an upright position, in order to prevent the medication from irritating the throat.
- Doxycycline hyclate should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level of the medication in your system.
- For the drug to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Make sure that you complete your entire prescription of doxycycline hyclate, even if you start feeling better. This will ensure that the infection is completely treated.
There is conflicting information available about the possibility of an interaction with milk and doxycycline hyclate. While it is clear that doxycycline hyclate is less likely to interact with milk than other tetracyclines, researchers have not reached a definitive conclusion about whether or not milk might reduce the effectiveness of doxycycline hyclate.
Most sources state that it is probably not a problem to combine doxycycline hyclate with milk.
The dosage that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- The particular product
- The condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless specifically instructed by your healthcare provider to do so.
(Click Doxycycline Dosage for more information about doxycycline hyclate dosing.)