How Much Doxycycline Should I Take?
Doxycycline Dosage for AnthraxThe recommended doxycycline dose in people who have been exposed to anthrax or who have a diagnosed active anthrax infection is 100 mg, taken twice a day for 60 days. Smaller children (weighing less than 100 pounds) older than 8 years of age can be given 1 mg per pound of body twice a day for 60 days. Larger children (weighing more than 100 pounds) older than 8 years old can receive the usual adult dosage.
Doxycycline Dosage for RosaceaOnly one doxycycline product (Oracea®) is approved for this use. The recommended dosage is one Oracea 40 mg capsule once daily in the morning on an empty stomach, at least one hour before or two hours after a meal.
Doxycycline Dosage for PeriodontitisThe recommended dose of doxycycline tablets (Periostat®) for treating periodontitis is 20 mg every twelve hours on an empty stomach, at least one hour before or two hours after a meal.
The gel formulation (Atridox®) is placed in the gum pockets by your dentist. The gel hardens and slowly releases the medication over 21 days. Do not brush or floss the treated areas for seven days after treatment. Treatment may be repeated after four months.
General Information on Your Doxycycline DoseGeneral information for people taking doxycycline includes the following:
- The medication comes as a capsule, tablet, syrup, oral suspension, gel, or injection. It is usually taken once or twice a day, depending on your healthcare provider's instructions and the particular product.
- It works best when taken without food. However, some products can be taken with food if stomach upset occurs. Make sure to refer to the instructions for your specific product.
- It is important to take doxycycline with plenty of water (or other fluids) while in an upright position, in order to prevent the medication from irritating the throat.
- Doxycycline should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your system.
- For the drug to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Make sure that you complete your entire prescription of doxycycline, even if you start feeling better. This will ensure that the infection is completely treated.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your doxycycline dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.