If you have overdosed on doxycycline, it is important to seek immediate medical attention. Possible symptoms of an overdose may include nausea and vomiting, along with any of the usual side effects of the medication. Treatment options may include administering certain medications, pumping the stomach, or treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
Can You Take Too Much Doxycycline?Doxycycline is a prescription antibiotic. As with most medications, it may be possible to take too much doxycycline. The specific effects of a doxycycline overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the doxycycline dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Commonly, an overdose with this drug will cause nausea and vomiting, along with any of the usual doxycycline side effects.
Treatment for a Doxycycline OverdoseThe treatment for a doxycycline overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Dialysis is not useful for removing doxycycline from the bloodstream. Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
For example, supportive treatment options may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV), if necessary
- Careful monitoring of the vital signs
- Other treatments based on the complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on doxycycline.