When and How to Take Doxycycline
When and How Do I Take It?
Considerations for people taking this drug include the following:
- The medication comes as a capsule, tablet, syrup, oral suspension, gel, or injection. It is usually taken once or twice a day, depending on your healthcare provider's instructions and the particular product.
- It works best when taken without food. However, some products can be taken with food if stomach upset occurs. Make sure to refer to the instructions for your specific product.
- It is important to take doxycycline with plenty of water (or other fluids) while in an upright position, in order to prevent the medication from irritating the throat.
- Doxycycline should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your system.
- For the drug to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Make sure that you complete your entire prescription of doxycycline, even if you start feeling better. This will ensure that the infection is completely treated.
Dietary Instructions With DoxycyclineThere is conflicting information available about the possibility of an interaction with milk and doxycycline. While it is clear that doxycycline is less likely to interact with milk than other tetracyclines, researchers have not reached a definitive conclusion about whether or not milk might reduce the effectiveness of doxycycline. Most sources state that it is probably not a problem to combine doxycycline with milk.
Dosing Information for Doxycycline
The dosage that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The particular doxycycline product
- The condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Doxycycline Dosage for more information.)