When treating bacterial infections with Factive, your dose will be based on the type of infection being treated and your kidney function. Although you should start feeling better within a few days of starting treatment with this medication, it is important to finish the full course of the medicine. Stopping this antibiotic too soon may cause your infection to return or lead to antibiotic resistance.
Interested in a Discount on Factive?
Enter your email address to see if eMedTV's free DiscountRx service has a program that could help you save on your prescription(s).
Enter Your Email Address
Thank you!Thank you for your interest in DiscountRx from eMedTV. An email has been sent to the address you provided. Please follow the link within that email to see what offers may be available.
The dose of Factive® (gemifloxacin mesylate) your healthcare provider recommends will depend on a number of factors, including:
- The type of infection being treated
- How well your kidneys function.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Make sure to follow your healthcare provider's instructions carefully and to finish the entire course of Factive, even if you start to feel better. Stopping this medication too soon could cause your infection to come back, or lead to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
The usual dose of Factive for treating acute exacerbations (worsening) of chronic bronchitis is 320 mg once daily for five days. If you have kidney disease, your healthcare provider might recommend a lower dosage (160 mg once daily).
The usual dose of Factive for treating community-acquired pneumonia is 320 mg once daily for five or seven days, depending on the type of bacteria. If you have kidney disease, your healthcare provider might recommend a lower dosage (160 mg once daily).
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Factive include the following:
- Factive comes in tablet form. It is usually taken once a day.
- This medication can be taken with or without food. However, it should be taken with a glass of water.
- Try to take Factive at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- Swallow Factive tablets whole -- do not crush or chew them. Tell your healthcare provider if you cannot swallow the tablets. You may break the tablets in half (along the break lines), if necessary.
- Make sure you drink plenty of fluids to stay well hydrated during Factive treatment.
- Factive is an antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections. It will not treat infections caused by viruses, such as the common cold or flu.
- You should start to feel better within a couple days of starting treatment. However, this does not mean your infection is gone. Make sure you finish the entire course of this medicine. Stopping it too early may cause your symptoms to return or lead to antibiotic resistance.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.