Factive Warnings and Precautions
If you are taking Factive for your bacterial infection, it is important to know that this medication can cause problems, such as tendon problems and neurological side effects. Other safety precautions with Factive involve warnings about taking this drug while pregnant or breastfeeding. It should also be noted that this drug can cause severe allergic reactions in some people.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to using Factive® (gemifloxacin mesylate) if you have:
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Tendon problems
- Any nerve disorders, such as neuropathy
- A history of a seizure or have epilepsy
- An irregular heartbeat or a heart rhythm problem known as QT prolongation, or have family members with these problems
- Rheumatoid arthritis or other problems with your joints
- Low potassium or magnesium levels in the blood
- Myasthenia gravis
- Any allergies, including to medications, foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
You should also tell your healthcare provider about all other medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.