Disorientation, slurred speech, and dizziness may occur with an overdose of Floxin (ofloxacin); however, the specific signs a person experiences will vary based on how much of the drug was taken and if it was taken with any other medications or substances. Treatment will typically involve supportive care, "pumping the stomach," and intravenous fluids, among other things.
Can You Take Too Much Floxin?Floxin® (ofloxacin) is a prescription medication that belongs to a class of antibiotics called fluoroquinolones, or "quinolones" for short. It is used to treat a variety of different infections, including:
- Urinary tract infections
- Prostate infections
- Skin infections
As with most medications, it may be possible to take too much Floxin. The specific effects of an overdose will likely vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Floxin dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
What Are the Effects of an Overdose With Floxin?The specific effects of a Floxin overdose may include but are not limited to:
- Hot and cold flashes
- Facial swelling
- Numbness in the face
- Slurred speech.
Treatment for a Floxin OverdoseThe treatment for an overdose with Floxin will vary. If the overdose was recent, it is possible that the healthcare provider may administer certain medicines to induce vomiting, or place a tube into the stomach to "pump" it. Dialysis is not expected to adequately remove Floxin from the body.
Treatment for any type of overdose typically involves supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a Floxin overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV) to keep hydrated
- Close monitoring for serious problems, such as seizure.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much of this medication.