Dealing With Insomnia Due to Levaquin
If you do not have any other symptoms, you may be able to successfully deal with the insomnia without your healthcare provider's help. In some cases with people taking Levaquin, insomnia may be relieved by simply improving sleep habits. Some tips for better sleep include:
- Keep a regular sleep-wake cycle. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine in the four to six hours before bedtime.
- Don't exercise within two hours of bedtime. Exercising five or six hours before bedtime may help you sleep more soundly.
- Don't eat large meals within two hours of bedtime.
- Don't nap later than 3 p.m.
- Sleep in a dark, quiet room with a comfortable temperature.
- If you can't fall asleep within 20 minutes, do a quiet activity somewhere else and return to bed when you're sleepy.
- Wind down in the 30 minutes before bedtime with a relaxing pre-sleep ritual such as a warm bath, soft music, or reading.
(Click Good Sleep Habits for more suggestions.)
A Summary of Levaquin and Insomnia
It is impossible for your healthcare provider to know whether you will develop insomnia while taking Levaquin. Also, in some cases, if a person does develop insomnia, it is challenging to know whether these problems are caused by Levaquin or by the infection itself.
If you develop insomnia accompanied by any other unusual symptoms while taking Levaquin, make sure to talk with your healthcare provider, as these may be signs of a serious reaction to Levaquin.