Antibiotics Home > Amoxicillin Overdose
Although a mild amoxicillin overdose is not likely to cause any significant problems, a large overdose could affect the kidneys. Any of the usual side effects of the medication may occur as the result of an overdose. Various treatment options are available for an overdose of amoxicillin, including certain medicines, "pumping the stomach," and supportive care.
Amoxicillin (Amoxil®, Moxatag™) is a prescription antibiotic. It is possible to take too much of it. The specific effects of an amoxicillin overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the amoxicillin dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
A mild amoxicillin overdose probably will not cause any significant or lasting problems. However, a large overdose could affect the kidneys, possibly causing poor kidney function or even kidney failure. It is also reasonable to expect that an overdose would cause any of the usual amoxicillin side effects, but perhaps more severely. For instance, it is possible that nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea would occur.
The treatment for an amoxicillin overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment also involves supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV), if necessary
- Diuretic medications to prevent kidney damage
- Other treatments based on the complications that occur.
Dialysis can be useful for removing amoxicillin from the bloodstream.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on amoxicillin.