Antibiotics Home > Important Instructions for Amoxicillin
- Amoxicillin comes as capsules, tablets, chewable tablets, pediatric drops, and oral suspension (liquid). For most conditions, it is usually taken by mouth two or three times a day (except for gonorrhea, which is treated with a single, one-time dose). One long-acting product (Moxatag) is taken just once a day.
- For most amoxicillin products, you can take the medication with food or on an empty stomach. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food. However, Moxatag should be taken within one hour after finishing a meal.
- Be sure to shake the oral suspension or pediatric drops well before each dose. The suspension and drops taste better if stored in the refrigerator.
- A dose of the oral suspension or pediatric drops can be added to formula, milk, fruit juice, water, ginger ale, or cold drinks if necessary. The mixture should then be taken immediately and completely.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it too soon.
- The type of infection and bacteria
- Your age and weight
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.