Antibiotics Home > Floxin Uses
Healthcare providers recommend Floxin for a wide range of bacterial infections, from prostate infections to skin infections to pelvic inflammatory disease. The drug works by interfering with two enzymes that are necessary for bacteria to multiply. Older adults can use Floxin, although they may be more prone to certain side effects. Children under the age of 18 should not take this drug.
What Is Floxin Used For?Floxin® (ofloxacin) is an antibiotic that belongs to a group of drugs called fluoroquinolones, or just "quinolones" for short. It is approved to treat a variety of infections, including:
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs), such as cystitis (sometimes called "bladder infections") and pyelonephritis (kidney infections)
- Prostate infections (prostatitis)
- Infections of the skin and surrounding tissue
- Certain gonorrhea infections of the urethra and cervix
- Certain chlamydia infections of the urethra and cervix
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID).