Antibiotics Home > Nafcillin Overdose
If you believe you have received a nafcillin overdose, alert the medical staff immediately. Receiving too much of this drug may result in seizures, brain problems, or a coma. An overdose is more likely to occur in those who have poor kidney function. If an overdose occurs, you will need to be monitored closely for any complications that might occur.
Nafcillin is a prescription medication that belongs to the penicillin group of antibiotics. As with any medication, it is possible to receive too much nafcillin.
The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the nafcillin dosage and whether it was combined with any other medications or substances.
Although an overdose would likely cause any of the usual nafcillin side effects, it could also cause some potentially serious problems. Among the most serious complications are nervous system reactions, such as:
- Brain problems.
Serious problems are more likely to occur if a nafcillin overdose is given to a person with liver and/or kidney problems. Even normal nafcillin doses might cause problems in these individuals.
People who have been given too much nafcillin should be kept under close medical supervision to watch for any problems or complications that arise. Dialysis is not helpful for removing the excess nafcillin from the bloodstream.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on nafcillin.