Antibiotics Home > Precautions and Warnings With Ofloxacin Otic Solution
Before using ofloxacin otic solution, there are many precautions to be aware of, including warnings on who should not use the drug and possible side effects that may occur. For example, this prescription ear medicine could cause severe allergic reactions in some people. In addition, women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should consult their healthcare provider before using this product.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider Before Using Ofloxacin Otic Solution?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to using ofloxacin otic solution (Floxin® Otic) if you have any allergies, including allergies to medications, foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Specific Ofloxacin Otic Solution Precautions and WarningsSome warnings and precautions to be aware of prior to using this medicine include:
- Ofloxacin otic solution is an ear drop and should only be used in the ears. Do not take it by mouth, put it in your nose or eyes, or apply it to your skin.
- Ofloxacin otic solution does not kill all types of organisms that may cause ear infections. Therefore, if your infection seems to get worse or has not improved within a week, or if you experience extreme or persistent discomfort or itching, talk to your healthcare provider. You may need a different medication.
- It is important to keep this medication clean and free from bacterial contamination. Therefore, avoid touching the tip of the applicator to any surface, including your ear or hands.
- When taken orally, ofloxacin (the active ingredient in ofloxacin otic solution) has been reported to cause severe allergic reactions. Although this type of reaction is not likely with ofloxacin otic solution (since very little of the medicine is absorbed into the bloodstream), seek immediate medical attention if you develop any signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- A rash
- Swelling of the lips or throat
- Difficulty breathing.
- Ofloxacin otic solution is unlikely to interact with other medications (see Drug Interactions With Ofloxacin Otic Solution).
- Ofloxacin otic solution is a pregnancy Category C medication, which means that it may not be safe for use during pregnancy, although the full risks are currently unknown (see Floxin Otic and Pregnancy for more information).
- It is unknown if ofloxacin otic solution passes through breast milk. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding a child, check with your healthcare provider before using ofloxacin otic solution (see Floxin Otic and Breastfeeding).