The dose of Omnicef®
) that your healthcare provider prescribes will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition you are being treated for
- Your age
- If you have decreased kidney function
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Omnicef dosage unless specifically instructed by your healthcare provider to do so.
Omnicef Dosage for Bacterial Infections
The recommended Omnicef dosage for most types of bacterial infections is 300 mg, taken twice daily for 5 to 10 days or 600 mg, taken once daily for 10 days.
In children ages 6 months to 12 years, your healthcare provider will prescribe Omnicef based on a weight chart. The dosing can range, depending on body weight, from 7 mg per kilogram of body weight (mg/kg), taken twice a day, or 14 mg per kilogram of body weight, taken once a day, for 5 to 10 days. Children should generally be limited to 600 mg or less of Omnicef per day.
General Omnicef Dosage Information
General information for people taking Omnicef includes the following:
- Omnicef comes as a capsule or oral suspension (liquid).
- Omnicef can be taken with or without food. If it upsets your stomach, taking Omnicef with food can help.
- Omnicef should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the drug in your system.
- For Omnicef to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed.
- Make sure that you complete your entire prescription of Omnicef, even if you start feeling better. This will ensure that the infection is completely treated.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Omnicef or your Omnicef dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Omnicef without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.