Antibiotics Home > What You Need to Know About Plaquenil
- Plaquenil comes in tablet form. It is taken once a week to prevent malaria, starting two weeks before anticipated exposure and continuing until four to eight weeks after you return from the high-risk area. For other uses, it is usually taken once or twice a day.
- It is best to take Plaquenil with food or a glass of milk in order to prevent stomach upset.
- Using this medication for malaria prevention in children creates unique problems, since it is available only in adult-strength tablets and since the drug is extremely bitter. However, your healthcare provider and pharmacist can work together to create a solution to these problems for your child.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Plaquenil will not work adequately if you stop taking it too soon.
- The medical condition being treated (or prevented)
- Your age and weight
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.