As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Plaquenil®
sulfate). However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Plaquenil. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Plaquenil side effects with you.)
Possible Side Effects of Plaquenil
For recently approved medications, very specific information about side effects is available. However, for older medications (such as Plaquenil), the prescribing information provides only vague side effect information. Based on this information, possible bothersome (but usually not dangerous) side effects of Plaquenil may include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Diarrhea and abdominal pain
- Dizziness or a spinning sensation (vertigo)
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Loss of appetite
- Irritability or nervousness
- Hair loss or bleaching of the hair
- Sensitivity to the sun
- Weight loss
- Changes in skin pigment (either a loss of pigment or a blue-black pigment).