Antibiotics Home > Important Information on Sulfatrim
- Sulfatrim comes as an oral suspension (liquid). It is taken by mouth, usually twice a day (although it is taken as frequently as four times daily or as infrequently as once daily for certain uses).
- Sulfatrim can be taken at any time of the day; however, make sure to take the medication at the same time(s) each day. For instance, if you take it twice daily, it is best to evenly space the doses, taking a dose every 12 hours.
- It does not matter if you take this medication with food or on an empty stomach. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Be sure to shake well just before each dose. It is best to use a measuring device, such as a medication spoon or syringe (which are more accurate than kitchen spoons).
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Sulfatrim will not work if you stop taking it too soon.
Dosing InformationThe dose of Sulfatrim that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The type of infection and bacteria
- Your height and weight (for some uses)
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are currently taking.
Side Effects of SulfatrimAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Sulfatrim. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. Serious side effects are less common.
- Loss of appetite