Some general considerations include the following:
- Sulfatrim comes as an oral suspension (liquid). It is taken by mouth, usually twice a day (although it is taken as frequently as four times daily or as infrequently as once daily for certain uses).
- Sulfatrim can be taken at any time of the day; however, make sure to take the medication at the same time(s) each day. For instance, if you take it twice daily, it is best to evenly space the doses, taking a dose every 12 hours.
- It does not matter if you take this medication with food or on an empty stomach. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Be sure to shake well just before each dose. It is best to use a measuring device, such as a medication spoon or syringe (which are more accurate than kitchen spoons).
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Sulfatrim will not work if you stop taking it too soon.