Antibiotics Home > Vantin Dosage
When treating certain bacterial infections, Vantin can be taken as a tablet or oral suspension (liquid). It is usually taken twice daily. However, the Vantin dosage your healthcare provider prescribes will depend on your age, your weight, and the severity of the infection being treated, among other factors. If you have kidney problems, you may need a lower or less-frequent dose.
The dosage of Vantin® (cefpodoxime proxetil) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on factors such as:
- Your age
- Your weight
- The type and severity of the infection being treated
- How well your kidneys are functioning
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The standard recommended dosing guidelines for Vantin are as follows:
- For treating pharyngitis ("strep throat") or tonsillitis in adults: 100 mg every 12 hours for 5 to 10 days
- For treating pneumonia: 200 mg every 12 hours for 14 days
- For bronchitis: 200 mg every 12 hours for 10 days
- For gonorrhea: A one-time, 200-mg dose
- For skin and skin structure infections: 400 mg every 12 hours for 7 to 14 days
- For sinus infections: 200 mg every 12 hours for 10 days
- For urinary tract infections: 100 mg every 12 hours for 7 days.
If your kidneys are not functioning well, your healthcare provider may recommend a lower or less-frequent dose of Vantin.