Antibiotics Home > Vantin Overdose
If you take too much Vantin (cefpodoxime), it can result in overdose symptoms, particularly in people whose kidneys are not functioning properly. Possible symptoms may include vomiting, seizures, and unusual muscle movements. It is important to seek immediate medical treatment if you believe you have overdosed on this medication.
Vantin® (cefpodoxime proxetil) is a prescription antibiotic used to treat strep throat, ear infections, and few other types of infections. As with any medication, it is possible to take too much Vantin. The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Vantin dosage and whether it was combined with any other medications or substances.
Although there is little detailed information about what exactly to expect with an overdose of Vantin, some of the possible effects when too much of a cephalosporin antibiotic is taken might include:
- Digestive upset, such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
- Unusual muscle movements or hyperactivity
- Brain problems.
A Vantin overdose is more likely to cause problems in people who have poorly functioning kidneys, as the kidneys remove this medication from the body. In fact, even normal dosages can cause problems in people with kidney disease. This is why it is important for your healthcare provider to adjust your dosage based on how well your kidneys are functioning.
People who have taken too much Vantin should be kept under close medical supervision to watch for any problems or complications that occur. If the overdose was recent, "pumping the stomach" can help remove the drug from the digestive tract before it is absorbed. Dialysis may also be helpful for removing the excess Vantin from the bloodstream.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have overdosed on Vantin.