What Is Vibramycin?
) is a prescription antibiotic. It is used to treat and prevent a number of different infections. Notably, some of the approved uses of Vibramycin include treating severe acne, treating and preventing anthrax
, and preventing malaria
Who Makes It?
Currently, this medication is made by Pfizer, Inc.
How Does It Work?
Vibramycin is part of a class of drugs called tetracyclines
. It decreases bacteria's ability to make protein, which bacteria need to live. This activity does not directly kill the bacteria, but it does inhibit their growth and multiplication, which gives the immune system a chance to fight the infection.
When and How Do I Take It?
Some considerations for people taking this drug include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule and oral suspension forms. It is usually taken once or twice a day.
- Vibramycin can be taken with or without food. Although the medication may work slightly better on an empty stomach, there is probably not enough of a difference to be of concern. If the medication bothers your stomach, make sure to take it with food.
- It is important to take the capsules with plenty of water (or other fluids) while in an upright position, in order to prevent the medication from irritating the throat. Do not lie down immediately after taking this medication.
- Make sure to shake Vibramycin oral suspension well before each dose.
- It does not matter what time of day you take this medication. However, it should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level of the medication in your system.
- For the drug to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. It will not work adequately if you stop taking it too soon.