An Introduction to Dosing With Macrobid
There is only one standard dose for Macrobid®
monohydrate/macrocrystalline), regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust this amount unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Macrobid Dosage for UTIs
The recommended Macrobid dosage for treating urinary tract infections
in people age 12 and older is 100 mg twice daily for seven days. This medication is not approved for children under 12 years of age.
General Dosing Information
Some considerations to keep in mind when taking Macrobid include the following:
- The medication comes as a capsule that is usually taken twice daily.
- Macrobid should be taken with food, as food increases the absorption of this antibiotic.
- It does not matter what times of day you take this drug. However, it should be taken at the same times each day (with about 12 hours between doses) to maintain an even level in your system.
- For Macrobid to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. It will not work adequately if you stop taking it too soon.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Macrobid dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.