If you take an overdose of minocycline, you could experience symptoms such as vomiting, nausea, and any of the usual side effects of the drug. Treatment options can include pumping the stomach (for a recent overdose) and supportive care, which involves treating the symptoms that result from taking too much minocycline. If you have overdosed on this medication, tell your healthcare provider right away.
Can You Take Too Much Minocycline?Minocycline is a prescription antibiotic commonly used to treat acne, although it is approved to treat a wide range of infections. As with most medications, it may be possible to take too much minocycline. The specific effects of an overdose will likely vary, depending on a number of factors, including the minocycline dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
An overdose with minocycline is likely to cause nausea and/or vomiting. It might also cause any of the usual minocycline side effects, but perhaps more severely.
Treatment for a Minocycline OverdoseThe treatment when too much minocycline is taken will vary. If the overdose was recent, the healthcare provider may administer certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach," although this may not always be necessary or recommended. Dialysis is not useful for removing minocycline from the bloodstream.
Treatment also involves supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options may include:
- Careful monitoring of vital signs
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV), if necessary
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on this medicine.