Important Instructions for Minocycline
By affecting the protein-making ability of bacteria, minocycline ultimately kills the bacteria and stops it from causing infection in the body.
General information for people taking minocycline includes the following:
- The medication comes as a capsule, tablet, or powder (for use in dental procedures to treat gum disease). It is usually taken one to four times a day, depending on your healthcare provider's instructions.
- Some minocycline products work best when taken without food, at least one hour before or two hours after a meal. However, some products can be taken with food if stomach upset occurs. Make sure to refer to the instructions for your specific product.
- It is important to take minocycline with plenty of water (or other fluids) while in an upright position, in order to prevent the medication from irritating the throat.
- It should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level of the drug in your system.
- For minocycline to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Make sure that you complete your entire prescription, even if you start feeling better. This will ensure that the infection is completely treated.
There is conflicting information available about the possibility of an interaction with milk and minocycline. There does not seem to be a consensus about whether or not milk can significantly decrease the effectiveness of minocycline. Check with your healthcare provider before taking minocycline with milk.