Oxacillin Overdose

If you think you have received too much oxacillin, alert the medical staff immediately. An overdose on this drug may result in seizures, brain problems, or vomiting. The specific effects will depend on how much of the drug was used and whether it was combined with any other medications. If an overdose occurs, you will need to be monitored closely for any complications that might occur.

Can You Receive Too Much Oxacillin?

Oxacillin is a prescription medication that belongs to the penicillin group of antibiotics. As with any medication, it is possible to overdose on this product.
 
The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the oxacillin dosage and whether it was combined with any other medications or substances.
 

Effects of an Overdose

Although there is little detailed information about what exactly to expect with an oxacillin overdose, some of the possible effects of an overdose with a penicillin antibiotic like oxacillin might include:
 
  • Digestive upset, such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
  • Seizures, coma, or brain problems.
 

Treatment for an Oxacillin Overdose

People who have been given too much oxacillin should be kept under close medical supervision to watch for any problems or complications that arise. Dialysis is not helpful for removing the excess oxacillin from the bloodstream.
 
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have received an oxacillin overdose.
 

Oxacillin Drug Information

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2017 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.