The suggested dose of Zithromax for treating most types of common bacterial infections is 250 mg or 500 mg for three to five days. If you have a chronic or more severe infection, your healthcare provider may continue treatment for an extended period. For treating sexually transmitted diseases, the recommended dosage is 1 g to 2 g given one time only.
The dose of Zithromax® (azithromycin) your healthcare provider prescribes will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Your age
- Whether you have decreased liver function
- Whether you have decreased kidney function
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other drugs you may be taking.
As always, do not adjust this amount unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended Zithromax dosage for most types of common bacterial infections is 250 mg or 500 mg once daily for three to five days. For chronic or more serious infections, your healthcare provider may continue treatment for an extended period.
In children, the dosing can range (depending on body weight) from 5 mg to 20 mg per kilogram of body weight per day (mg/kg/day), once daily for three to five days.
The recommended dose of Zithromax for the treatment of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) is 1 gram (1000 mg) to 2 grams (2000 mg) given one time only.
Additional information to keep in mind when taking Zithromax include the following:
- Zithromax should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your system.
- Both tablets and immediate-release liquid suspensions can be taken with or without food. If the medication upsets your stomach, try taking it with food.
- The extended-release suspension should be taken without food, either one hour before eating or two hours after.
- Drink a full glass of water with each dose of Zithromax.
- For Zithromax to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed.
- Make sure that you complete your entire prescription, even if you start feeling better. This will ensure that the infection is completely treated.
- Never take outdated Zithromax. Taking any outdated medication may cause serious problems because the intended effects often change after expiration.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Zithromax dosage, please talk with your doctor or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.